Five dead, 17 missing in Indonesia ferry accident
Kupang: Rescuers found five
dead bodies on Saturday and were searching for 17 people missing
after a passenger boat sank in eastern Indonesia.
The ferry, called the Karya Terang, went down
yesterday afternoon, during bad weather in East Nusa Tenggara
"We`ve found five dead bodies, three women and two
men. We`re still searching for 17 missing people," Kupang
search and rescue chief Herman Da Gomes said.
Da Gomes said 44 people had survived the accident.
Rescuers had originally said only a dozen people were
missing, but revised the total number of passengers on board
the boat to 66.
"About 50 people, consisting of rescue teams, marine
police, navy members and fishermen, are searching for the
missing people," he said.
Separately, a boat carrying seven people sank in East
Nusa Tenggara province yesterday. Officials said four people
had been rescued but they were still searching for the others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption