Five dead, 17 missing in Indonesia ferry accident
Kupang: Rescuers found five
dead bodies on Saturday and were searching for 17 people missing
after a passenger boat sank in eastern Indonesia.
The ferry, called the Karya Terang, went down
yesterday afternoon, during bad weather in East Nusa Tenggara
"We`ve found five dead bodies, three women and two
men. We`re still searching for 17 missing people," Kupang
search and rescue chief Herman Da Gomes said.
Da Gomes said 44 people had survived the accident.
Rescuers had originally said only a dozen people were
missing, but revised the total number of passengers on board
the boat to 66.
"About 50 people, consisting of rescue teams, marine
police, navy members and fishermen, are searching for the
missing people," he said.
Separately, a boat carrying seven people sank in East
Nusa Tenggara province yesterday. Officials said four people
had been rescued but they were still searching for the others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened