Five dead after Colombian rebels ambush candidate
Bogota: Five people were killed and four wounded after Colombian FARC guerrillas ambushed and attempted to kidnap a candidate for a governor`s post in a southern province, authorities said on Sunday.
The attack underscored the vulnerability of politicians in rural Colombia despite the progress made by President Alvaro Uribe`s US-backed security drive to defeat Latin America`s oldest-surviving leftist insurgency.
Police said rebels attacked a convoy transporting Jose Alberto Perez, a Conservative Party candidate for the Guaviare province governorship in a special February 28 election organised after the previous governor was forced to step down.
Perez was wounded when rebels opened fire in a roadside ambush that killed four police bodyguards and another person, police said.
The FARC, or Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, is at its weakest in decades after Uribe`s campaign to force the rebels back into jungles and mountains. But the guerrilla group remains a threat in rural areas, aided by funds from their involvement in cocaine trafficking and extortion.
Sunday`s attack came as Colombia prepares for Legislative Elections in March and a presidential vote in May with Uribe still uncertain about whether he will run for a consecutive third term in the world`s No 3 coffee exporting nation.
In December, the FARC kidnapped and killed a governor of Caqueta State in a rare urban assault. Luis Cuellar was dragged from his home, bundled into a waiting jeep and later found with his throat cut.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you