Five dead in British industrial blast
London: An explosion at an industrial estate in central England has killed five men and seriously injured one more, police have said.
The blast occurred shortly before 7:30 pm (1830 GMT) at the Broadfield Lane industrial estate in Boston, Lincolnshire, East Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed.
"We took a 999 call at 7:22 pm this evening," an ambulance spokesman said. "We dispatched one double-crewed ambulance and transported one patient to Boston hospital."
A spokeswoman for Lincolnshire police added: "Five men have been confirmed dead.”
"Inquiries are ongoing and will be ongoing throughout the night to establish the cause of this explosion. The circumstances at the moment are still unclear, there will be a full forensic examination of the unit."
Six fire engines were sent to the scene, according to Steve Moore, an area manager from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service.
"When the first crews attended they were faced with a really serious fire and a casualty who was outside the building suffering from burns," he said.
"The incoming crew then started to fight the fire, it was a really hot, intense fire."
Police would not confirm reports by local residents that alcohol was being illegally brewed at the estate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened