Five footballers killed in Kenya road accident
Malindi: At least five football players from Kola Beach Football Club died on the spot and dozens were injured after their vehicle was involved in a grisly accident near the Kenyan coastal resort town of Malindi Sunday, officials said.
The players, officials and fans of the club that features in the zonal football league in the region were returning from a match at Marereni area when the accident occurred, Xinhua reported.
Malindi Base Traffic Commander Bernard Ibaya said the mini-truck was carrying both the team and its fans at the time of the accident when the driver lost control of the vehicle when swerving to avoid a pot hole.
Witness Safari Gona said the mini-truck collided with a lorry causing the death of five people and leaving 30 others injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional