Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks
Baghdad: Two Iraqi army officers and three soldiers were killed and three other people wounded in separate attacks in northern and eastern Iraq on Tuesday, police said.
A roadside bomb went off near a military patrol in south of the city of Tuz-Khurmato, some 200 km north of Baghdad, killing an officer and three soldiers, a local police source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
Two soldiers were also wounded by the blasts which also damaged two military vehicles, the source said.
In Iraq`s eastern province of Diyala, gunmen shot dead an Iraqi army lieutenant colonel near his house in Jurf al-Melih area, near the provincial capital city of Baquba, some 65 km northeast of Baghdad, a source from Diyala`s operations command anonymously told Xinhua.
In a separate incident, gunmen wounded a member of a government- backed Awakening Council group, near al-Hadeed area, some 10 km northwest of Baquba, the source said.
The Awakening Council group, also known as Sons of Iraq movement or Sahwa, consists of mostly anti-US Sunni insurgent militant groups, who turned their rifles to fight Al Qaeda network after Sahwa`s leaders became dismayed by Al Qaeda`s brutality and religious zealotry in the country.
Violence in Iraq has ebbed from its climax in 2006 and 2007, when sectarian conflicts pushed the country to the brink of a civil war, but tensions and sporadic shootings and bombings are still seen across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next