Five killed in central Nigeria`s fresh attack
Abuja: Five people were killed and eight
were injured when unknown gunmen attacked a village near
Nigeria`s flashpoint central city of Jos, just after two
communities signed a peace treaty to end incessant killings.
Police said that several houses were razed in the
attack in Kuru village on Thursday night, before the attackers
Abdularahman Akano, the police commissioner of Plateau
state of which Jos is the capital, said no arrests have been
made so far but he offered no further detail.
Recent attacks in communities of Barkin Ladi, Riyom,
Bassa, Mangu and near Jos have resulted in scores of deaths.
Two days prior to the present onslaught, Fulani and
Irigwe communities in Bassa had signed a peace treaty to end
the killings and violence in the area.
On January 26, 12 people were killed near Jos when
Fulani herdsmen attacked three villages in Barkin Ladi local
The attackers were said to have gone to Dorowa, Jong,
Sunkut and Lohana villages ostensibly in search of their lost
cattle in the night frightening the villagers who raised alarm
on sighting the strangers.
Spokesman of a military Special Task Force (STF) in
the troubled state, Captain Charles Ekeocha, had confirmed
that the herdsmen used firearms to kill 10 persons, injured
three and then burnt down several houses.
"One of the arrested Fulani attackers is a member of
the Police Mobile force serving in Abuja. He gave his
particulars as S Number 220015, and his name as Corporal
Mohammed Uba, of 44 Police Mobile Force, Abuja. He was
arrested with a sickle, four life cartridges in his pocked, a
box of matches and a catapult," he said.
In a similar incident in the state early last year,
Fulani herdsmen had attacked and killed hundreds of Christians
in a land related dispute prompting President Goodluck
Jonathan to send federal forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof