Five killed in Iraq attacks: Officials

Last Updated: Monday, August 2, 2010 - 17:18

Baghdad: Bomb attacks on Monday in Baghdad and a
town in western Anbar province killed five people and wounded
seven, officials said, amid a surge in Iraq violence linked to
stalled efforts to form a government.

A bomb at a bus shelter in the southern Baghdad district
of Shurta killed two people and wounded four, an official at
the interior ministry said.

In the town of Al-Garma, in Anbar province around 50
kilometres west of Baghdad, a bomb destroyed a policeman`s
house, killing three of his relatives, including a woman, and
wounding three others, two of them women, according to the
police.

Data released by the Iraqi ministries of the interior,
health and defence on Saturday showed that July was the single
deadliest month in the war-torn country since May 2008, with
535 people killed and 1,043 wounded.

But yesterday the US military took the unusual step of
disputing the government`s figures, claiming in a statement
that 222 people were killed in Iraqi violence last month,
including six US soldiers, and 782 people wounded.

US and Iraqi officials have warned of the dangers of an
upsurge in violence as negotiations on forming a new
government nearly five months after the March 7 general
election drag on, giving insurgent groups an opportunity to
further destabilise the country.

PTI



First Published: Monday, August 2, 2010 - 17:18

comments powered by Disqus