Five killed in Kenya quarry collapse
Nairobi: At least five people were buried alive and one other seriously injured after a quarry collapsed in southwest Kenya, medics and witnesses said Friday.
The six were mining sand at Tulwetab Mosonik quarry in Bomet County when the accident occurred, Xinhua reported.
The upper part of the deeply excavated sand quarry collapsed sending large boulders to cover the miners who were scooping sand from another side
The rescue team, though, saved a man who had been trapped in the rubble of the collapsed quarry for two hours. He suffered fractures in various parts of the body including legs, arms and back due to heavy rubble which fell on him.
Doctors said he was in stable but serious condition.
A witness Julius Koech said they were preparing to start mining sand when the incident occurred.
"I was basking in the sun a few meters from the quarry and had to run for my life when the walls started falling."
"Seven of us were at the site which collapsed and I only escape because I was feeling some cold and went a few meters to bask in the sun and all my colleagues were buried," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead