Five killed in Kenya quarry collapse
Nairobi: At least five people were buried alive and one other seriously injured after a quarry collapsed in southwest Kenya, medics and witnesses said Friday.
The six were mining sand at Tulwetab Mosonik quarry in Bomet County when the accident occurred, Xinhua reported.
The upper part of the deeply excavated sand quarry collapsed sending large boulders to cover the miners who were scooping sand from another side
The rescue team, though, saved a man who had been trapped in the rubble of the collapsed quarry for two hours. He suffered fractures in various parts of the body including legs, arms and back due to heavy rubble which fell on him.
Doctors said he was in stable but serious condition.
A witness Julius Koech said they were preparing to start mining sand when the incident occurred.
"I was basking in the sun a few meters from the quarry and had to run for my life when the walls started falling."
"Seven of us were at the site which collapsed and I only escape because I was feeling some cold and went a few meters to bask in the sun and all my colleagues were buried," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?