Five killed in shootout in Mexican resort of Acapulco
Acapulco: Shootings in Mexico`s
Pacific coast resort of Acapulco left two police officers and three suspected drug cartel gunmen dead, police said.
The confrontations began when gunmen traveling in a
convoy of eight vehicles opened fire on an Acapulco municipal
police patrol car on Sunday, killing two officers.
Federal officers responding to the reports of gunfire
later located the convoy; in the ensuing gunfight, three
suspects were killed.
Police in Guerrero state, where Acapulco is located, said
in statement said that the three dead assailants were found
with assault rifles, military-style uniforms and bulletproof
Yesterday, Ramon Almonte, the Guerrero state police
chief, said he will ask the federal congress to make it easier
for common citizens to get permits for weapons to defend
Almonte`s brother was killed on January 1 in a rural town
in Guerrero by unidentified gunmen. The state has been plagued
by such executions.
"When you fight someone and at least you have a `piece,`
the person who is attacking you might think twice," Almonte
said. "We cannot go on the way we are."
At present, Mexico`s constitution allows citizens to have
one or two low-caliber guns in their homes, but they must get
a permit from the Defense Department and the process is
complicated. Almonte did not give specifics on how he would
make it easier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price