Five Russian troops killed in Chechnya
Rostov-On-Don: A clash between militants and Russian security forces in Chechnya killed five troops and wounded six others, officials said on Friday.
It was among the largest Russian losses in a single incident in several months.
The battle broke out late Thursday outside Shalazhi, a village in the foothills of the southern Chechnya mountains where rebels are sheltered, said Magomed Deniev, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry`s Chechen division.
The Interior Ministry`s branch in southern Russia said authorities found the bodies of five suspected militants also killed in the clash.
Full-scale fighting between insurgents and Russian forces in Chechnya ended in the early 2000s, but small clashes and roadside bombings persist and violence has increasingly spilled into neighbouring regions in the volatile North Caucasus.
In the province of Dagestan east of Chechnya, a senior police officer was killed on Friday when an explosive device hit a vehicle he was driving, regional police spokesman Mark
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Political blame-game begins as auto, taxi unions go on indefinite strike against app-based taxi services
- NGT seeks details of Rs 20,000 crore expenditure on cleaning Ganga
- Stolen LMG recovered in Punjab, red alert sounded for runaway BSF trooper
- India wants close security coordination with Bangladesh: Envoy
- LeEco launches new video membership brand for young consumers