Five sailors kidnapped off Nigeria coast: Watchdog
Lagos: An anti-piracy watchdog says five sailors have been kidnapped off the coast of Nigeria`s oil-rich southern delta.
The International Maritime Bureau said in a note today that the five sailors had been kidnapped Thursday some 45 nautical miles off the coast of Brass.
The bureau said the pirates came on a speed boat and a supply vessel, attacking the sailor`s container ship. The bureau said the pirates kidnapped the five sailors and left the rest of the crew unharmed.
Commodore Kabir Aliyu, a Nigerian navy spokesman, declined to immediately comment today.
The Gulf of Guinea, which follows the continent`s southward curve from Liberia to Gabon, has seen an escalation in violent pirate attacks. Insurers have listed Nigeria, neighboring Benin and nearby waters in the same risk category as Somalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore