Five sailors kidnapped off Nigeria coast: Watchdog
Lagos: An anti-piracy watchdog says five sailors have been kidnapped off the coast of Nigeria`s oil-rich southern delta.
The International Maritime Bureau said in a note today that the five sailors had been kidnapped Thursday some 45 nautical miles off the coast of Brass.
The bureau said the pirates came on a speed boat and a supply vessel, attacking the sailor`s container ship. The bureau said the pirates kidnapped the five sailors and left the rest of the crew unharmed.
Commodore Kabir Aliyu, a Nigerian navy spokesman, declined to immediately comment today.
The Gulf of Guinea, which follows the continent`s southward curve from Liberia to Gabon, has seen an escalation in violent pirate attacks. Insurers have listed Nigeria, neighboring Benin and nearby waters in the same risk category as Somalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you