Five school students drown in China
Beijing: Five Chinese school students have drowned in what looks like a failed attempt to rescue one of their drowning classmates.
Eight second-year students from a middle school at Huizhou City in southern Guangdong Province were organising a barbecue by Dongjiang River, when one of them accidentally fell into the river, according a police statement.
Four other students linking hands attempted to reach the drowning pupil but they too fell into water, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The three remaining students on the bank reported the case to the police and a rescue team rushed to the scene.
The bodies of all five students were retrieved. Meanwhile, 18 crew members of a ship were rescued shortly before their vessel sank in the Yangtze River after hitting a bridge pier.
The vessel - Xinchuan 8 - collided with one of the piers of the Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge when it was trying to pass through.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'