Five school students drown in China
Beijing: Five Chinese school students have drowned in what looks like a failed attempt to rescue one of their drowning classmates.
Eight second-year students from a middle school at Huizhou City in southern Guangdong Province were organising a barbecue by Dongjiang River, when one of them accidentally fell into the river, according a police statement.
Four other students linking hands attempted to reach the drowning pupil but they too fell into water, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The three remaining students on the bank reported the case to the police and a rescue team rushed to the scene.
The bodies of all five students were retrieved. Meanwhile, 18 crew members of a ship were rescued shortly before their vessel sank in the Yangtze River after hitting a bridge pier.
The vessel - Xinchuan 8 - collided with one of the piers of the Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge when it was trying to pass through.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'