Five school students drown in China
Beijing: Five Chinese school students have drowned in what looks like a failed attempt to rescue one of their drowning classmates.
Eight second-year students from a middle school at Huizhou City in southern Guangdong Province were organising a barbecue by Dongjiang River, when one of them accidentally fell into the river, according a police statement.
Four other students linking hands attempted to reach the drowning pupil but they too fell into water, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The three remaining students on the bank reported the case to the police and a rescue team rushed to the scene.
The bodies of all five students were retrieved. Meanwhile, 18 crew members of a ship were rescued shortly before their vessel sank in the Yangtze River after hitting a bridge pier.
The vessel - Xinchuan 8 - collided with one of the piers of the Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge when it was trying to pass through.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'