Five sentenced for attacking, robbing Indian expatriate in Dubai
Dubai: Five foreigners, including two women have been sentenced by a Dubai court for up to three years in jail for attacking and robbing a 24-year-old Indian here, a media report said.
The Indian salesman was punched and hit with a lamp before the assailants fled with his laptop bag that had 835,340 dirhams (USD 232,315) in cash on January 11 this year, the Khaleej Times reported.
The Court of First Instance in Dubai sentenced three Azerbaijan nationals to three years in prison for attacking the salesman and robbing him after they admitted to the assault and robbery.
Two other women, one from Turkey and the other from Azerbaijan, were also given three-month jail term each for possessing the stolen cash.
All the robbers will be deported after they serve their sentences.
Two of the attackers were arrested at the Dubai International Airport while trying to flee the country, and the third accomplice was arrested in Sharjah.
One of the men transferred the money to his wife, who passed it to a Turkish woman for safety.
Police raided the Turkish woman`s apartment and found the money hidden in a false ceiling, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read