Five snowboarders killed in US avalanche
Georgetown: Five snowboarders were killed in a backcountry avalanche on Colorado`s Loveland Pass, authorities said.
Clear Creek County Sheriff Don Krueger said in a statement that six snowboarders were caught in the slide yesterday. The condition of the lone survivor was not released.
The Colorado Department of Transportation closed a highway as many skiers were headed home from the nearby Arapahoe Basin ski resort.
Lisa Clarke Devore, who was headed back to Denver from the resort, told The Associated Press that she saw a fire truck and ambulance on the pass, as well as two search dogs headed into the area of the slide. She says she saw several ambulances, including one towing snowmobiles, driving toward the pass.
The pass, elevation of 11,990 feet (3,655 meters), is popular among backcountry skiers and snowboarders.
On Thursday, a 38-year-old snowboarder died in an avalanche south of Vail Pass. Eagle County sheriff`s officials said the man and another snowboarder likely triggered the slide after a friend on a snowmobile dropped them off at the top of Avalanche Bowl.
Nationwide, more than 18 people have died in avalanches this season, according to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center.
US avalanche deaths climbed steeply around 1990 to an average of around 24 a year as new gear became available for backcountry travel. Until then, avalanches rarely claimed more than a handful of lives each season in records going back to 1950.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you