Flash floods in eastern Indonesia kill at least 68
Teluk Wondama: A Navy warship arrived in a remote corner of eastern Indonesia carrying tents and medical supplies on Wednesday after flash floods and mudslides tore through mountainside villages, killing at least 68 people and leaving thousands homeless.
The disaster in West Papua province — triggered by days of torrential downpours — destroyed roads and bridges, hampering rescue efforts.
Worst hit was the village of Wasior, where a landslide buried houses beneath tons of heavy black sludge early Monday. Soon after, a river burst its banks, sweeping away residents in a fast-moving deluge of water and debris.
"Many people didn`t have time to save themselves," stammered Ira Wanoni, adding that at least 30 homes were completely flattened.
Mujiharto, who heads the Ministry of Health`s crisis centre, said the death toll had reached 68 by Wednesday morning with more than 90 others hospitalised, many with broken bones. Some had to be evacuated by helicopter.
More than 2,000 people were seeking shelter in government buildings and makeshift camps.
Priyadi Kardono, a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency, said rescue efforts picked up steam on Wednesday with the arrival of a Navy ship carrying security forces and health workers, together with more than 10 tons of supplies.
"We hope this is enough for now," he said, as tents, sleeping mats, blankets and food were loaded into trucks and rushed to the disaster zone.
Landslides and flooding kill dozens of people every year in the vast tropical archipelago of Indonesia, which has more than 17,000 islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway