Flash floods in eastern Indonesia kill at least 68
Teluk Wondama: A Navy warship arrived in a remote corner of eastern Indonesia carrying tents and medical supplies on Wednesday after flash floods and mudslides tore through mountainside villages, killing at least 68 people and leaving thousands homeless.
The disaster in West Papua province — triggered by days of torrential downpours — destroyed roads and bridges, hampering rescue efforts.
Worst hit was the village of Wasior, where a landslide buried houses beneath tons of heavy black sludge early Monday. Soon after, a river burst its banks, sweeping away residents in a fast-moving deluge of water and debris.
"Many people didn`t have time to save themselves," stammered Ira Wanoni, adding that at least 30 homes were completely flattened.
Mujiharto, who heads the Ministry of Health`s crisis centre, said the death toll had reached 68 by Wednesday morning with more than 90 others hospitalised, many with broken bones. Some had to be evacuated by helicopter.
More than 2,000 people were seeking shelter in government buildings and makeshift camps.
Priyadi Kardono, a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency, said rescue efforts picked up steam on Wednesday with the arrival of a Navy ship carrying security forces and health workers, together with more than 10 tons of supplies.
"We hope this is enough for now," he said, as tents, sleeping mats, blankets and food were loaded into trucks and rushed to the disaster zone.
Landslides and flooding kill dozens of people every year in the vast tropical archipelago of Indonesia, which has more than 17,000 islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now