Flaws found in US missile shield: Report
Washington: Secret Defense Department studies cast doubt on whether a multibillion-dollar missile defence system planned for Europe will ever be able to protect the US from Iranian missiles as intended, according to a report.
Military officials say they believe the problems can be overcome and are moving forward. But proposed fixes could be difficult.
The studies are the latest to highlight serious problems for a plan that has been criticised on several fronts. Republicans claim it was hastily drawn up in an attempt to appease Russia. But Russia is also critical of the plan, which it believes is really intended to counter its missiles.
The classified studies were summarised in a briefing for lawmakers by the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office. The briefing, which was not classified, was obtained by The Associated Press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’