Flaws found in US missile shield: Report
Washington: Secret Defense Department studies cast doubt on whether a multibillion-dollar missile defence system planned for Europe will ever be able to protect the US from Iranian missiles as intended, according to a report.
Military officials say they believe the problems can be overcome and are moving forward. But proposed fixes could be difficult.
The studies are the latest to highlight serious problems for a plan that has been criticised on several fronts. Republicans claim it was hastily drawn up in an attempt to appease Russia. But Russia is also critical of the plan, which it believes is really intended to counter its missiles.
The classified studies were summarised in a briefing for lawmakers by the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office. The briefing, which was not classified, was obtained by The Associated Press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister