`Flimsy cybersecurity for military magnet to US` enemies’
Washington: The US military is ‘not confident’ that its computer networks will continue to work in the event of a cyber attack from a reasonably competent enemy.
Also, the US military’s ‘dependence’ on flimsy security systems ‘is a magnet to US opponents’, who are increasingly capable of attacking ‘with potential consequences similar in some ways to the nuclear threat of the Cold War’.
According to the Christian Science Monitor, the warning was given in a new 18-month study from the Pentagon’s Defence Science Board, which formed a taskforce to review the vulnerability of US military networks.
The taskforce found that during war game exercises, ‘red team’ adversaries were able to hack into US military networks with ‘relative ease’.
The study said that such adversaries could ‘completely [beat] our forces in exercises’ using hacking programmes widely available on Internet.
The study concluded that this happened in large part, because the Defence Department’s networks ‘are built on inherently insecure architectures that are composed of, and increasingly using, foreign parts’.
It added that getting better at cyber defence will involve giving up on the thought of protecting all military networks from advanced hackers, ‘which the task force believes is neither feasible nor affordable’.
The study warned that cyber attacks today were quickly progressing from exploitation and disruption to destruction.
It added that enemies could also infiltrate networks to play havoc with what is widely considered one of the US military’s greatest strengths: logistics.
The taskforce also advises keeping some crucial forces offline, to respond in the event of a catastrophic cyberattack, à la ‘Battlestar Galactica,’ the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed