Flood-hit North Korea requests UN food aid
New York: North Korea has urged the UN to provide emergency supplies, including food and fuel, after one of the country`s worst floods have left over 100 people dead and thousands homeless.
Torrential rains have resulted in widespread flooding in North Korea, Xinhua quoted Martin Nesirky, the spokesperson for UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, as saying.
"The (North Korean) government has requested that the UN release its pre-positioned emergency stocks, including food and fuel," Nesirky said.
Heavy rains since last week have devastated North Korea.
The country had been reeling under a severe drought in the past few months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report