Flood-hit North Korea requests UN food aid
New York: North Korea has urged the UN to provide emergency supplies, including food and fuel, after one of the country`s worst floods have left over 100 people dead and thousands homeless.
Torrential rains have resulted in widespread flooding in North Korea, Xinhua quoted Martin Nesirky, the spokesperson for UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, as saying.
"The (North Korean) government has requested that the UN release its pre-positioned emergency stocks, including food and fuel," Nesirky said.
Heavy rains since last week have devastated North Korea.
The country had been reeling under a severe drought in the past few months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah