Flood recovery to cost USD 1 billion: Alberta premier
Calgary (Alberta): Alberta`s premier has pledged USD 1 billion to help people recover from floods that devastated parts of the western Canadian province.
The money will be used to support those who have been evacuated, run relief centers and start rebuilding, said Premier Alison Redford yesterday.
Redford has called it the worst flooding in Alberta`s history and said rebuilding could take 10 years.
Three bodies have been recovered since the flooding began last Thursday in southern Alberta.
The government said it will provide pre-loaded debit cards to displaced residents to help with their immediate housing needs and day-to-day purchases. Those who qualify will receive USD 1,250 per adult and USD 500 per child.
Redford said the unforeseen expense means the oil-rich Alberta won`t meet its plans to balance the budget in the coming years.
"The world changed Thursday morning and I think as a Treasury Board we`ve come to terms with that. We think Albertans have come to terms with that." Redford said. "This is like nothing we have ever faced before and we are up to the challenge."
Redford said the rebuilding could take 10 years.
"I don`t want to scare people. But when we talk about what`s going to happen, we`re talking about a 10-year plan. And we`re committed to make sure we`re going to take the time to do that right," she said.
Torrential rain last week filled up creeks and rivers that were unable to contain so much water in such a short time and surged over their banks to inundate communities throughout much of southern Alberta.
Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi said yesterday nearly all of the roughly 75,000 people who fled overflowing water from Bow and Elbow rivers can return home. He had announced Sunday that 65,000 could go home. Nenshi said only people who live in the downtown area and in a small area in the Inglewood neighborhood east of the city`s downtown are still being kept out.
Nenshi said people should stay away from the closed section of downtown so that the area can be re-opened as soon as possible.
He`s warning that people need to be cautious as they return many houses won`t have utility service. Nenshi urged people to keep their spirits up as their neighbors experience the pain of returning to damaged homes.
People in High River, the community hardest hit by the flooding, didn`t have much reason for optimism. Mayor Emile Blokland said there was still no timeline for when 13,000 evacuees would be able to return. He said he understood their frustration, but explained that the town`s infrastructure had suffered a "critical blow" and every house needed to be inspected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September