Flood recovery to cost USD 1 billion: Alberta premier
Calgary (Alberta): Alberta`s premier has pledged USD 1 billion to help people recover from floods that devastated parts of the western Canadian province.
The money will be used to support those who have been evacuated, run relief centers and start rebuilding, said Premier Alison Redford yesterday.
Redford has called it the worst flooding in Alberta`s history and said rebuilding could take 10 years.
Three bodies have been recovered since the flooding began last Thursday in southern Alberta.
The government said it will provide pre-loaded debit cards to displaced residents to help with their immediate housing needs and day-to-day purchases. Those who qualify will receive USD 1,250 per adult and USD 500 per child.
Redford said the unforeseen expense means the oil-rich Alberta won`t meet its plans to balance the budget in the coming years.
"The world changed Thursday morning and I think as a Treasury Board we`ve come to terms with that. We think Albertans have come to terms with that." Redford said. "This is like nothing we have ever faced before and we are up to the challenge."
Redford said the rebuilding could take 10 years.
"I don`t want to scare people. But when we talk about what`s going to happen, we`re talking about a 10-year plan. And we`re committed to make sure we`re going to take the time to do that right," she said.
Torrential rain last week filled up creeks and rivers that were unable to contain so much water in such a short time and surged over their banks to inundate communities throughout much of southern Alberta.
Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi said yesterday nearly all of the roughly 75,000 people who fled overflowing water from Bow and Elbow rivers can return home. He had announced Sunday that 65,000 could go home. Nenshi said only people who live in the downtown area and in a small area in the Inglewood neighborhood east of the city`s downtown are still being kept out.
Nenshi said people should stay away from the closed section of downtown so that the area can be re-opened as soon as possible.
He`s warning that people need to be cautious as they return many houses won`t have utility service. Nenshi urged people to keep their spirits up as their neighbors experience the pain of returning to damaged homes.
People in High River, the community hardest hit by the flooding, didn`t have much reason for optimism. Mayor Emile Blokland said there was still no timeline for when 13,000 evacuees would be able to return. He said he understood their frustration, but explained that the town`s infrastructure had suffered a "critical blow" and every house needed to be inspected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India