Flooding claims 8 lives in northern Nigeria
Abuja: At least eight people were killed and and several others have gone missing in the flooding in northern Nigeria in the past 48 hours, the country`s National Emergency Management Agency said on Tuesday.
National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) head of operation in the North West Aliyu Rafindadai said that in Katsina, four people died when flood that preceded heavy downpour inundated six local government areas namely, Kurfi, Safana, MaiAdua, Kusada, Kurfi and Bindawa.
"Farmlands and crops were also washed away in these local government areas following a torrential rainfall," he told PTI.
According to him, three people died in Safana local government area, while a middle aged woman died in Kurfi local government area.
Over 543 houses were also destroyed in several villages including Runka and Illela in Safana local government; Dadinkowa, Tsabawa and Shirgi in Batsari; Kurfi and Faduma villages in Kurfi local government.
"NEMA and state emergency committee have visited the areas affected by the flood to assess the level of the damage and we`re working hard to provide relief materials to the affected victims," he said.
In Jigawa state, heavy downpour in Kiyawa Local Government Area of the state killed four persons, destroying houses and crops, he said, adding that in Kano the flood destroyed several houses at Gabasawa, Bichi, Gwale and Gwarzo local government areas as a result of the heavy rainfall that washed off several acres of farmlands.
Nigeria is witnessing rainy season which is accompanied by flooding and loss of lives.
Over the weekend, about 10 persons died and 20,000 were displaced when waters from a dam in Cameroon flooded some parts of Adamawa state also in northern Nigeria.
State Emergency Management Agency official Shadrach Daniel Baruk had said the flood was made more intense by heavy rainfall.
Nigeria has two seasons; dry and rainy.
Last July, torrential rain and flooding that hit Lagos led to more than 20 deaths even as 2000 persons were displaced.
Then, heavy downpour in the Island city of 15 million people triggered the overflow of canals with water which poured into residential areas and major roads.
Eleven of the dead were children who drowned in the ensuing flood as the victims could not distinguish between the roads and drainage channels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah