Flooding claims 8 lives in northern Nigeria
Abuja: At least eight people were killed and and several others have gone missing in the flooding in northern Nigeria in the past 48 hours, the country`s National Emergency Management Agency said on Tuesday.
National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) head of operation in the North West Aliyu Rafindadai said that in Katsina, four people died when flood that preceded heavy downpour inundated six local government areas namely, Kurfi, Safana, MaiAdua, Kusada, Kurfi and Bindawa.
"Farmlands and crops were also washed away in these local government areas following a torrential rainfall," he told PTI.
According to him, three people died in Safana local government area, while a middle aged woman died in Kurfi local government area.
Over 543 houses were also destroyed in several villages including Runka and Illela in Safana local government; Dadinkowa, Tsabawa and Shirgi in Batsari; Kurfi and Faduma villages in Kurfi local government.
"NEMA and state emergency committee have visited the areas affected by the flood to assess the level of the damage and we`re working hard to provide relief materials to the affected victims," he said.
In Jigawa state, heavy downpour in Kiyawa Local Government Area of the state killed four persons, destroying houses and crops, he said, adding that in Kano the flood destroyed several houses at Gabasawa, Bichi, Gwale and Gwarzo local government areas as a result of the heavy rainfall that washed off several acres of farmlands.
Nigeria is witnessing rainy season which is accompanied by flooding and loss of lives.
Over the weekend, about 10 persons died and 20,000 were displaced when waters from a dam in Cameroon flooded some parts of Adamawa state also in northern Nigeria.
State Emergency Management Agency official Shadrach Daniel Baruk had said the flood was made more intense by heavy rainfall.
Nigeria has two seasons; dry and rainy.
Last July, torrential rain and flooding that hit Lagos led to more than 20 deaths even as 2000 persons were displaced.
Then, heavy downpour in the Island city of 15 million people triggered the overflow of canals with water which poured into residential areas and major roads.
Eleven of the dead were children who drowned in the ensuing flood as the victims could not distinguish between the roads and drainage channels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh