Floods in central Vietnam kill 19, leave 8 missing
Hanoi: Floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains in central Vietnam have killed 19 people, left eight missing and forced about 80,000 from their homes, disaster officials and state media said on Saturday.
The floods forced 64,500 people from their homes in Quang Ngai province, with three dead and three missing, provincial officials said. The military and police are rushing aid and food to villagers cut off by the floodwaters, they said.
Another 16,600 people were evacuated from their homes in the neighbouring province of Quang Nam, where one person died and another was missing, disaster official Nguyen Hoai Phuong said.
"The flooding was widespread in the province, where some 60 percent to 80 percent of the areas of Hoi An city and two other districts were submerged," Phuong said, adding that the floodwaters were slowly receding.
In the worst-hit province of Binh Dinh, floods killed 12 people and left two missing, officials said.
State media reported that three people were killed and two others missing in three other central provinces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read