Floods, mudslides claim 20 lives in Sri Lanka
Colombo: At least 20 people have been killed and 14 others missing in Sri Lanka in flash floods and mudslides caused by two days of heavy rain.
Over 180,000 people displaced from nine provinces and some 12,000 people have been accommodated in 67 relief camps, said Lal Sarath Kumara, the deputy director of the Disaster Management Centre.
The department of irrigation said 37 of the 71 reservoirs in many provinces have reached spill levels.
The meteorological department has extended the rain and landslide warning for next 48 more hours.
Troops have been deployed to assist local authorities in rescue and relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA