Floods, mudslides claim 20 lives in Sri Lanka
Colombo: At least 20 people have been killed and 14 others missing in Sri Lanka in flash floods and mudslides caused by two days of heavy rain.
Over 180,000 people displaced from nine provinces and some 12,000 people have been accommodated in 67 relief camps, said Lal Sarath Kumara, the deputy director of the Disaster Management Centre.
The department of irrigation said 37 of the 71 reservoirs in many provinces have reached spill levels.
The meteorological department has extended the rain and landslide warning for next 48 more hours.
Troops have been deployed to assist local authorities in rescue and relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Those with illegal money to be prosecuted: Jaitley on Panama Papers
- 10 killed in Bangladesh poll violence
- Watch: Now make a call just by squeezing your smartphone!
- Life beyond cricket: Humanist Rohit Sharma visits orphanage after IPL stint
- Delhi court reserves order on criminal complaint against Arvind Kejriwal