Floods, mudslides claim 20 lives in Sri Lanka
Colombo: At least 20 people have been killed and 14 others missing in Sri Lanka in flash floods and mudslides caused by two days of heavy rain.
Over 180,000 people displaced from nine provinces and some 12,000 people have been accommodated in 67 relief camps, said Lal Sarath Kumara, the deputy director of the Disaster Management Centre.
The department of irrigation said 37 of the 71 reservoirs in many provinces have reached spill levels.
The meteorological department has extended the rain and landslide warning for next 48 more hours.
Troops have been deployed to assist local authorities in rescue and relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video