Floods, mudslides claim 20 lives in Sri Lanka
Colombo: At least 20 people have been killed and 14 others missing in Sri Lanka in flash floods and mudslides caused by two days of heavy rain.
Over 180,000 people displaced from nine provinces and some 12,000 people have been accommodated in 67 relief camps, said Lal Sarath Kumara, the deputy director of the Disaster Management Centre.
The department of irrigation said 37 of the 71 reservoirs in many provinces have reached spill levels.
The meteorological department has extended the rain and landslide warning for next 48 more hours.
Troops have been deployed to assist local authorities in rescue and relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister