Florida executes man for girl`s 1980 killing
Washington: Florida executed a man on Wednesday for abducting and murdering a 10-year-old girl in 1980, prison authorities said.
Larry Mann, 59, was pronounced dead by lethal injection at 7:19 pm (2310 GMT), a spokeswoman said in a statement.
He was found guilty of kidnapping Elisa Nelson as she headed to school, and of later cutting her throat and beating her head with a pipe that had a concrete base attached.
Although Mann did not rape the child, the man who was 27 at the time was already known to police for the type of attacks usually attributed to a paedophile.
His multiple appeals triggered new hearings that all confirmed his death sentence, as well as several delays to his execution.
In a statement released shortly after the execution, the girl`s brother Jeffrey Nelson lashed out at a "fundamentally flawed... justice system that takes over 32 years to bring to justice a paedophile who confessed to kidnapping and murdering a 10-year-old girl."
"There are no winners here. His death does not bring Elisa back, nor does it end our sorrow, but we will no longer be tortured by his defence attorney`s endless legal wrangling."
Mann was the first man executed this year in Florida, which has no more executions planned for 2013. He was the seventh to be put to death across the United States, according to the Death Penalty Information Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi