Florida imam pleads not guilty to terror charges
Miamai: An elderly Miami imam pleaded
not guilty in US federal court to charges of supporting the Pakistani Taliban and was ordered held without bail, his lawyer said.
The US government accuses 76-year-old Hafiz Muhammed
Sher Ali Khan, four of his relatives and another person of
funneling money and providing support to the group branded by
Washington as a foreign terrorist organization.
Khan is the leader of Miami`s oldest mosque. His
attorney, Khurrum Wahid, expressed concern about his client
being kept in jail.
"He`s 76 years old and has health issues -- heart and
cholesterol problems," the lawyer said yesterday.
The Pakistani Taliban is engaged in a violent
resistance against the Pakistani and US governments. It also
has links to al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan.
One of Khan`s sons, 24-year-old Izhar Khan, also
appeared in court for the first time yesterday since their
indictment was unsealed. He is also an imam at a Florida
US Magistrate Judge Barry Garber scheduled another
hearing for May 23.
The six defendants are all Pakistanis, although some
of them have US citizenship.
The indictment unveiled Saturday names the older Khan,
two sons (Irfan and Izhar Khan), daughter Amina Khan, grandson
Alam Zeb and another individual, Ali Rehman.
The arrests and charges against the Pakistanis come
amid heightened tensions between Washington and Islamabad
following a US commando raid that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama
bin Laden at his hideout deep in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'