Florida politicians question Jay-Z, Beyonce`s `illegal` trip to Cuba
Washington: Two US lawmakers have questioned how pop stars Jay-Z and Beyonce were allowed to travel to Cuba last week to mark their wedding anniversary.
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart, both Republicans from Florida, wrote a letter to the director of the US of Foreign Assets Control expressing `concern` over the megastars` trip to the Caribbean nation, according to The Miami Herald.
According to the New York Daily News, United States citizens are permitted to travel to Cuba only if they obtain a certain license.
Although there is a ban for mere tourism, thousands of Americans go their every year on academic, religious or journalistic licenses.
Jay-Z and Beyonce have not commented on why they traveled to Havana. They celebrated five years of marriage last week.
Ros-Lehtinen and Diaz-Balart have called for an investigation into the hip-hop royalty`s trip, claiming that `U.S. dollars spent on Cuban tourism directly fund the machinery of oppression that brutally repressed the Cuban people,` the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter