Florida politicians question Jay-Z, Beyonce`s `illegal` trip to Cuba
Washington: Two US lawmakers have questioned how pop stars Jay-Z and Beyonce were allowed to travel to Cuba last week to mark their wedding anniversary.
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart, both Republicans from Florida, wrote a letter to the director of the US of Foreign Assets Control expressing `concern` over the megastars` trip to the Caribbean nation, according to The Miami Herald.
According to the New York Daily News, United States citizens are permitted to travel to Cuba only if they obtain a certain license.
Although there is a ban for mere tourism, thousands of Americans go their every year on academic, religious or journalistic licenses.
Jay-Z and Beyonce have not commented on why they traveled to Havana. They celebrated five years of marriage last week.
Ros-Lehtinen and Diaz-Balart have called for an investigation into the hip-hop royalty`s trip, claiming that `U.S. dollars spent on Cuban tourism directly fund the machinery of oppression that brutally repressed the Cuban people,` the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs