Florida politicians question Jay-Z, Beyonce`s `illegal` trip to Cuba
Washington: Two US lawmakers have questioned how pop stars Jay-Z and Beyonce were allowed to travel to Cuba last week to mark their wedding anniversary.
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart, both Republicans from Florida, wrote a letter to the director of the US of Foreign Assets Control expressing `concern` over the megastars` trip to the Caribbean nation, according to The Miami Herald.
According to the New York Daily News, United States citizens are permitted to travel to Cuba only if they obtain a certain license.
Although there is a ban for mere tourism, thousands of Americans go their every year on academic, religious or journalistic licenses.
Jay-Z and Beyonce have not commented on why they traveled to Havana. They celebrated five years of marriage last week.
Ros-Lehtinen and Diaz-Balart have called for an investigation into the hip-hop royalty`s trip, claiming that `U.S. dollars spent on Cuban tourism directly fund the machinery of oppression that brutally repressed the Cuban people,` the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AAP to petition HC over 'false' cases used to 'frame' its MLAs
- Hair-raising CCTV footage: MP labourer touches high-voltage live electric wire – See what happens next
- Sonam Kapoor's look in next film mix of high-end fashion, ethnic
- One arrest in Bangladesh over boy`s gruesome killing
- Huge crowds at Shiva temples on first Monday of Shravan