Flotilla to break Gaza blockade: Rights groups
Istanbul: A group of human rights organisations said on Tuesday they are organising a flotilla of vessels that will attempt to breach Israel`s blockade of Gaza later this year.
The Freedom Flotilla Coalition said it plans to sail to Gaza "during 2014." It did not specify how many vessels would participate, but said the flotilla was "a reflection of the growing worldwide solidarity with the Palestinian people; from the US to Malaysia, from Scandinavia to South Africa."
The group said the boats would also be carrying "Palestinian commercial products purchased by buyers worldwide to complete the work of Gaza`s Ark," a cargo boat built by the FFC and Palestinians that the group said was bombed on July 11.
It said it will also organise demonstrations in ports worldwide in coming months.
"Along with other projects, the initiative will support the right of Palestinians to operate international marine lines in and out of the port of Gaza," the group said.
The group organised two previous flotillas, in 2010 and in 2011. During the first, Israeli forces stormed the Turkish ship Mavi Marmara, killing nine people on board. The incident led to a breakdown in Turkish-Israeli relations.
Israel says it imposed the blockade in 2007 to prevent Palestinian militants bringing weapons into Gaza.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor