Flowers, songs for Ukraine`s Yulia outside jail
Kiev: Ukrainian singers staged a birthday concert on Sunday for opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko at the gates of the Kiev prison where she is being held while more than 3,000 of her supporters chanted messages of solidarity.
People heaped flowers and nailed up hand-written greetings messages on heart-shaped cards outside Luk`yanivska jail to mark her 51st birthday.
Many, bearing flags with the slogan "We will overcome!," chanted her name.
Others joined in when popular singer Nina Matvienko, one of several performers who Tymoshenko`s Batkivshchyna party said would appear during the day, sang a Ukrainian folk song.
Tymoshenko, who was twice prime minister, has been held at the Luy`yanivska detention centre in Kiev since she was jailed this summer for seven years for abuse of office.
She and her supporters say the case is a political vendetta against her by President Viktor Yanukovich, who narrowly beat her in a bitterly fought run-off for the job in February 2010.
The affair has derailed Ukraine`s plans for closer ties with the European Union. The 27-member bloc says the trial was politically motivated and has called on Yanukovich to secure Tymoshenko`s release.
But he has refused to intervene and prosecutors are pressing ahead with investigations into a variety of fresh criminal charges against her.
"Yanukovich locked her up on purpose because he knows that she is worse than a nuclear war for him. If she gets out, he will not be president much longer," said Viktor Redzhuk, a pensioner from the town of Zhitomyr, clutching a bunch of balloons.
Tymoshenko`s daughter, Evgenia, told reporters outside the prison: "It`s her birthday but it`s not a celebration for me. It`s a sad day because she`s in prison."
Police made no attempt to intervene or try to disperse the crowd.
There was no sign of Tymoshenko at any of the windows of Luk`yanivska prison, a long, rose-coloured building set back from the road, and there was no way of knowing whether she could hear the crowds outside.
Supporters fear her health is declining and there have been reports that she is suffering from a recurring back problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla