Food poison deaths doubles in China in first quarter
Beijing: Eighteen people died of food poisoning in China in the first quarter of this year, up 50 per cent year on year as the world`s most populous country grappled with a wave of new cases of food adulteration, creating crisis of confidence among public over food chains.
From January to March, 755 people suffered food poisoning in 24 cases reported nationwide, an increase of 72.4 per cent and 41.2 per cent, respectively, from the same period last year, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted the National Health and Family Planning Commission as saying.
The state media reported last week that more than 900 people have been arrested in a three-month campaign in China for selling rat or fox meat as mutton and beef.
Recurrent food safety scandals in China have put the country`s authorities on high alert but selling fox and rat meat disguised as that of lamb, takes the cake, state run China Central Television (CCTV) reported.
Sixty three people were arrested for running an operation in east China that sold fox, mink, rat and other meat that had not been tested for quality and safety, after processing it with additives like gelatin and passed it off as lamb.
Despite years of food scandals, China has been slow to clean up its food supply chain. And experts say the buck should stop at the regulatory bodies, the television report said.
"I think the only way to solve this is for the government and its regulatory bodies to closely monitor food supply chains, and punish severely those who do wrong," said Ma Zhiying, CTO of Shanghai Food Institute.
The Commission in its report said plants and animals as well as poisonous mushrooms were the cause of most deaths.
People are already avoiding chicken products due to fears of H7N9 which resulted in the deaths of 31 people so far.
Most of the Chinese lost confidence in baby food products after repeated scandals resulting in large scale deaths and reports say that disgraced Chinese companies are attempting to establish their units abroad to rebred their milk powder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi