Foreign defence officials visit Russian military base
Moscow: Members of foreign delegations attending an international conference on European security visited a military base near Moscow that has a motorized infantry division.
Defence officials and military experts from Armenia, Germany, Hungary, Latvia, Norway, South Africa, Sweden, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, the US and Zimbabwe were shown a training centre, a shooting range and the barracks at the Taman Division in Alabino.
Friday`s visit ended the two-day Military and Political Aspects of European Security conference in Moscow.
Participants at the conference exchanged views on the current state of and prospects for European security.
Both Russia and the West agree that the flaws of the existing security system could leave Europe unprepared, should interstate or intrastate conflicts flare up on the continent again as happened in the Balkans in the 1990s and the Caucasus in 2008.
Russian officials reiterated that differences over missile defence, NATO`s continuing eastward expansion and the general lack of trust between Russia and the West remain key problems in European security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends