Foreign, domestic anger at Swiss minaret ban
Brussels: Switzerland says the country`s new ban on the building of minarets is not aimed at Muslims but at Islamic fundamentalism.
Swiss Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf says her country supports religious freedoms.
She says Sunday`s referendum vote banning the building of new minarets was not "a referendum against Islam ... but a vote directed against fundamentalist developments."
Widmer-Schlumpf spoke on arrival Monday at a meeting with EU justice ministers. Switzerland is not an EU member but has close and regular contacts with the EU.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight