Foreign pressures cannot topple Syrian gov`t: Iran
Tehran: An Iranian lawmaker said on Friday that the foreign pressures cannot bring down the Syrian government, Press TV reported.
Any change in the Arab country should only be made by the Syrian people`s ballots, Alireza Zakani was quoted as saying.
The Iranian lawmaker stressed the importance of considering the nation`s demands as the only solution to the ongoing crisis in Syria and added "Westerners should know that the Syrian people want Bashar al-Assad to remain in power," according to the report.
Zakani warned against the West`s efforts to oust the Syrian president and said although the Syrian Army is fighting against terrorists, Assad is still implementing reforms in the country.
The Iranian legislator noted that certain armed individuals, sponsored by the Western powers and some regional countries are killing people in Syria in order to meet interests of foreigners, according to Press TV.
On Sunday, Iran`s Majlis (parliament) Speaker Ali Larijani said Iran would continue to support the Syrian government under any circumstances.
As with the past, under any circumstances the Iranian nation and government will remain on the side of the Syrian government and nation," Larijani said in a meeting with visiting Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem.
The Iranian government on Wednesday donated some medical supplies worth 1.2 million US dollars to the Syrian government in order to "break the U.S. and European siege of the medical sector in Syria."
The supplies comprise 15 ambulances and other medical devices. This is the third round of such aid offered by Iran, the most important regional ally to Syria.
Syrian Minister of Health Wael Halqi said the latest aid aims to "break the siege on the medical sector imposed by the US and the European Union" due to their endless sanctions that were meant to affect the Syrian government but instead negatively rebounded on the citizens themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise