Foreign same-sex couples cannot adopt Russian kids
Moscow: Foreign same-sex couples will be officially banned from adopting Russian children, a top official said. "In accordance with the Russian Family Code, same-sex couples are barred from adopting children," said Alexei Levchenko, an aide to Russian deputy premier overseeing social issues, Olga Golodets.
"Most likely, courts won`t authorise such adoptions without any additional legislative acts. However, an additional amendment will be passed, stipulating that adoptions are possible only for two-parent (traditional) foreign couples," Levchenko said.
Russia`s ombudsman for children`s rights, Pavel Astakhov, earlier said that Moscow should impose a moratorium on adoptions by French citizens now that France allows same-sex couples to marry and adopt children.
He said the Russian-French agreement on adoptions should be reconsidered because France`s endorsement of gay marriage directly contradicts Russian legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt