Foreign same-sex couples cannot adopt Russian kids
Moscow: Foreign same-sex couples will be officially banned from adopting Russian children, a top official said. "In accordance with the Russian Family Code, same-sex couples are barred from adopting children," said Alexei Levchenko, an aide to Russian deputy premier overseeing social issues, Olga Golodets.
"Most likely, courts won`t authorise such adoptions without any additional legislative acts. However, an additional amendment will be passed, stipulating that adoptions are possible only for two-parent (traditional) foreign couples," Levchenko said.
Russia`s ombudsman for children`s rights, Pavel Astakhov, earlier said that Moscow should impose a moratorium on adoptions by French citizens now that France allows same-sex couples to marry and adopt children.
He said the Russian-French agreement on adoptions should be reconsidered because France`s endorsement of gay marriage directly contradicts Russian legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended