Foreign same-sex couples cannot adopt Russian kids
Moscow: Foreign same-sex couples will be officially banned from adopting Russian children, a top official said. "In accordance with the Russian Family Code, same-sex couples are barred from adopting children," said Alexei Levchenko, an aide to Russian deputy premier overseeing social issues, Olga Golodets.
"Most likely, courts won`t authorise such adoptions without any additional legislative acts. However, an additional amendment will be passed, stipulating that adoptions are possible only for two-parent (traditional) foreign couples," Levchenko said.
Russia`s ombudsman for children`s rights, Pavel Astakhov, earlier said that Moscow should impose a moratorium on adoptions by French citizens now that France allows same-sex couples to marry and adopt children.
He said the Russian-French agreement on adoptions should be reconsidered because France`s endorsement of gay marriage directly contradicts Russian legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?