Foreigners indicted in China for acting as private detectives
Beijing: A foreign couple, stated to be private detectives hired by British drug maker GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), was indicted by Chinese prosecutors in Shanghai for illegally obtaining private information of Chinese citizens.
The couple -- 58-year-old British national Peter William Humphrey and his wife 61-year-old American Yu Ying Zeng -- was arrested in last August.
They were hired by GSK China`s Mark Reilly as private eyes in 2013, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today.
It is the first indictment Chinese prosecutors have announced on foreigners for illegal investigation.
In May, Chinese anti-corruption probe indicted British executive of?GSK?along with 45 others for committing bribery on a big scale to firm up its business in China.
In case against the couple, prosecutors found that they illegally trafficked a huge amount of personal information on Chinese citizens to seek profits via a company called ChinaWhys Co. Ltd., which was registered in 2004 in Shanghai.
The personal information traded by the couple included household registration details, background of family members, real estate, vehicles, call log and exit-entry records.
Apart from buying information illegally from others, the couple also obtained the information by means such as secret photography, infiltration or tailing after someone.
Based on the information, the couple compiled so-called "reports" and sold them at high prices to their clients, most of which are China-based multinational corporations, including GSK China.
Humphrey told reporters that in April 2013 he was contacted by Mark Reilly, then GSK China`s general manager, and Zhao Hongyan, its legal department director, and was prepaid 100,000 yuan (USD 16,143).
Reilly asked him to find the informant who disclosed GSK China`s bribery scandals to Chinese authorities and GSK`s executives.
Humphrey said that after the investigation, he found the bribery claim was valid based on his work experience of about a dozen years. He felt he was "betrayed and used" and GSK China`s suspicions about the informant was "unfounded", Xinhua report said.
Humphrey also admitted to having used illegal means to do his investigation, including buying others` information and tailing after them, it said.
The couple`s rights in custody were well protected and they have seen their attorneys several times. Local courts will hold hearing about the case soon, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow