Foreigners, women evacuated from Bali jail
Denpasar (Indonesia): Indonesian authorities
on Thursday began evacuating foreigners and women from a jail on the
resort island of Bali where rioting inmates seized control,
triggering a tense stand-off.
The first inmates boarded buses outside the Kerobokan
prison`s main entrance, where truckloads of police in full
riot gear had earlier arrived to bolster hundreds of heavily
armed security forces.
Four Western men were driven away on one of the buses as
dusk fell, followed by nine women -- including Westerners and
Asians -- on a second bus. Seventeen Indonesian inmates were
seen leaving aboard a third bus.
Police and military forces had stormed the overcrowded
jail at dawn yesterday to wrest control after a night of arson
and stone-throwing, only to have the inmates take over the
jail again later that night.
Bali police spokesman Hariadi, who like many Indonesians
goes by a single name, said the inmates still appeared to be
in control but the situation inside the prison now seemed to
"Following mediation, the prisoners have promised not to
cause any more anarchy," he said.
Twelve of the prison`s 60 foreign inmates are convicted
Australian drug traffickers, but it was unclear how many were
among the evacuees.
Convicted Australian drug smuggler Scott Rush, a member of
the so-called Bali Nine gang who is in his 20s and serving a
life sentence, was seen leaving in a police car with sirens
Bambang Krisbanu, a security official at the justice
ministry, said that most of the 12 Australians had chosen not
to be evacuated from Kerobokan, including convicted drug
trafficker Schapelle Corby.
Provincial military command spokesman Wing Handoko had
earlier said that authorities would evacuate the
foreigners and 125 women from the jail, fearing for their
"We will not storm the prison before they are removed as
we fear that their lives will be put at risk," Handoko said.
"There is a big possibility that the foreign inmates could
be used by the rioting inmates as bargaining chips to press
for their demands."
Riots over Quran burnings kill 5 in Afghanistan
Kabul: An Afghan official says two protesters
have died in an exchange of gunfire during a riot outside an
American base in eastern Afghanistan that also wounded two
The deaths raise to five the number of Afghans killed
around the country during today`s protests over this week`s
Quran burnings at a US base.
Governor Haji Mohammad Hassan says NATO and Afghan troops
were firing in the air to disperse hundreds of protesters
gathered in front of the base in Khogyani district in eastern
Hassan says during the rioting, one man in an Afghan army
uniform shot at NATO troops and seriously wounded two of them.
Earlier, Afghan police shot and killed three protesters
during two demonstrations in the north and south of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo