Former Argentine dictator denies stealing babies
Buenos Aires: Former Argentine dictator Jorge Videla, 84, denied ever stealing babies when the military ruled the country from 1976 to 1983, his lawyer told reporters on Saturday.
"I don`t know why they called me. I never gave anybody any child," Videla told an investigating judge on Friday, according to his lawyer Luis Carri.
Videla, who ruled from 1976-1981 and is now imprisoned at a military barracks on multiple charges of human rights violations, was summoned for questioning in an identity probe of two adopted children of Clarin newspaper owner Ernestina de Noble.
The ex-dictator was fingered by a former newspaper owner who months ago said a former Clarin director had told him he personally asked Videla to obtain two babies for de Noble.
Some 500 children, mostly born to women who "disappeared" during the military dictatorship, were kidnapped and turned over for illegal adoption, according to human rights group Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo.
Since 1984, the group has been able to establish the identity of 98 of them.
Videla was sentenced to life in prison for his crimes in 1985. He was pardoned and released in 1990 only to be arrested again in 1998 for baby-snatching and other charges not included in his pardons.
During the years of junta rule some 30,000 people vanished and are still unaccounted for.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes