Former Argentine military ruler Videla dies in prison
Buenos Aires: Former Argentine military ruler Jorge Rafael Videla died on Friday while serving life sentences in prison for crimes against humanity, reported Xinhua citing a government spokesperson. He was 87.
Videla, who took power in a 1976 coup and ruled until 1981, died of natural causes, the spokesperson said.
He was imprisoned in 2010 to serve life sentences after being convicted of crimes against humanity, including torture and murders of left-wing activists and the systematic theft of babies born to political prisoners in secret detention centres.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels