Former Canadian bishop pleads guilty to abuse
Ottawa: A former Catholic bishop pleaded guilty on Wednesday to child pornography charges, prompting a rebuke from the Vatican and Canadian bishops.
Raymond Lahey, 70, resigned in September 2009 as bishop of the diocese of Antigonish, Nova Scotia after a search at the Ottawa airport of his laptop computer uncovered graphic photographs of males who authorities suspected could be as young as eight years old.
He was later charged with possessing and importing child pornography following an investigation.
Following his confession, the Vatican`s press service issued a statement saying: "The Catholic Church condemns sexual exploitation of all kind, in particular when minors are targeted."
The church also said it was considering "appropriate disciplinary or penal" action against Lahey.
The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, meanwhile, reiterated its "long-standing condemnation of the possession, distribution and use of child pornographic images in all forms."
It added it "condemns all forms of sexual exploitation, especially involving minors."
Lahey faces sentencing in a Canadian court at a later date.
Lahey also faces accusations in a civil suit of sexually abusing an orphanage resident in the early 1980s.
The Mount Cashel Orphanage in St. John`s, Newfoundland was closed in 1990 after it was revealed that staff had systematically abused some 300 residents over several decades.
Pope Benedict XVI has met with victims of child-molesting priests three times since 2008, in Australia, the United States and most recently in Malta last year, when he expressed his "shame and sorrow" over the scourge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video