Former China mayor sentenced to life for bribery
Beijing: A provincial leader of the ruling Communist Party of China and former deputy mayor of a Chinese city was on Friday sentenced to life in prison for taking more than USD 1.6 million in bribes.
The Guangzhou Intermediate People`s Court found Liu Rongzhao, former deputy mayor of the city of Zengcheng, guilty of corruption and sentenced him for life.
The verdict said Liu had taken more than CNY 10 million (USD 1.6 million) in bribes from January 2003 to March 2011, when he served as head of Xintang Township, secretary of the CPC Working Committee of Licheng Street, deputy director of the Standing Committee of People`s Congress of Zengcheng and deputy mayor of Zengcheng.
The court deprived Liu of his political rights for life and confiscated assets worth CNY one million. Other illegal income obtained by Liu will also be confiscated, the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000