Former China mayor sentenced to life for bribery
Beijing: A provincial leader of the ruling Communist Party of China and former deputy mayor of a Chinese city was on Friday sentenced to life in prison for taking more than USD 1.6 million in bribes.
The Guangzhou Intermediate People`s Court found Liu Rongzhao, former deputy mayor of the city of Zengcheng, guilty of corruption and sentenced him for life.
The verdict said Liu had taken more than CNY 10 million (USD 1.6 million) in bribes from January 2003 to March 2011, when he served as head of Xintang Township, secretary of the CPC Working Committee of Licheng Street, deputy director of the Standing Committee of People`s Congress of Zengcheng and deputy mayor of Zengcheng.
The court deprived Liu of his political rights for life and confiscated assets worth CNY one million. Other illegal income obtained by Liu will also be confiscated, the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list