Former Croatia PM loses parliamentary immunity
Zagreb: The Croatian parliament on Thursday abolished the immunity of a former powerful prime minister, paving the way for his detention as anti-graft prosecutors suspect him for abuse of power.
All the 104 deputies present in the 153-seat assembly voted that Ivo Sanader be stripped of his immunity from prosecution, the HINA news agency reported.
However, Sanader, who in recent months has been increasingly linked to a corruption probe, had already left Croatia, crossing the border into Slovenia, the interior ministry said earlier.
"Police had no legal grounds to prevent him from leaving the country" earlier Thursday, a ministry statement said.
It was not immediately clear why Sanader left or when he planned to return.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?