Former Egyptian Guantanamo prisoner returns home
Cairo: An Egyptian man has returned home
after being jailed for years at the US naval base in
Adel Fathi Ali el-Gazzar says he went to Pakistan in
2000 to preach Islam. He lost a leg in a US bombing one year
later and subsequently ended up in American custody.
In addition to his time at Guantanamo, he also spent
10 months at a detention camp in Slovakia.
El-Gazzar told reporters today that the Americans had
not sent him back to Egypt for fear that he would be tortured
in his homeland.
He had been sentenced in absentia in Egypt in 2001 to
three years in prison for militant activities and now will be
retried on those charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune