Former Egyptian Guantanamo prisoner returns home
Cairo: An Egyptian man has returned home
after being jailed for years at the US naval base in
Adel Fathi Ali el-Gazzar says he went to Pakistan in
2000 to preach Islam. He lost a leg in a US bombing one year
later and subsequently ended up in American custody.
In addition to his time at Guantanamo, he also spent
10 months at a detention camp in Slovakia.
El-Gazzar told reporters today that the Americans had
not sent him back to Egypt for fear that he would be tortured
in his homeland.
He had been sentenced in absentia in Egypt in 2001 to
three years in prison for militant activities and now will be
retried on those charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP