Former Egyptian Guantanamo prisoner returns home
Cairo: An Egyptian man has returned home
after being jailed for years at the US naval base in
Adel Fathi Ali el-Gazzar says he went to Pakistan in
2000 to preach Islam. He lost a leg in a US bombing one year
later and subsequently ended up in American custody.
In addition to his time at Guantanamo, he also spent
10 months at a detention camp in Slovakia.
El-Gazzar told reporters today that the Americans had
not sent him back to Egypt for fear that he would be tortured
in his homeland.
He had been sentenced in absentia in Egypt in 2001 to
three years in prison for militant activities and now will be
retried on those charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what