Former first lady Barbara Bush leaves hospital
Washington: Former first lady Barbara Bush went home today after six days in hospital for pneumonia, a statement from the office of her husband, former president George HW Bush, said.
The 88-year-old thanked the doctors and nurses at the Texas hospital where she was admitted "for making sure I got the best treatment and got back to George and our dogs as quickly as possible," the brief statement said.
It did not offer further details about her condition or any follow-up care.
Bush was first lady from 1989 to 1993. She is also the mother of former president George W Bush, who was in the White House between 2001 and 2009.
After being admitted to Texas`s Houston Methodist Hospital on December 30, she received public messages of support and wishes for a speedy recovery from President Barack Obama and former president Bill Clinton.
Barbara Bush was admitted to the same hospital in 2008 and underwent surgery for a perforated ulcer. The following year she had open-heart surgery due to narrowing of her main heart valve.
In 2010, she received treatment for a mild relapse of Graves` disease, a thyroid condition for which she was treated in 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city