Former first lady of Yugoslavia dies
Belgrade: Hospital officials say Jovanka Broz, the widow of former Yugoslav dictator Josip Broz Tito, has died. She was 89.
Broz, who was married to Tito for nearly 30 years, died in a hospital today of heart failure, said Zlatibor Loncar, head of Belgrade`s emergency hospital.
Broz had been hospitalised since late August.
Tito, whose Partisan guerrilla fighters fought against German Nazi occupiers during World War II, took power in Yugoslavia after the war ended.
He ruled the multiethnic federation with a heavy hand until his death in 1980.
Tito`s successors later stripped Broz of her rights, placing her in virtual house arrest.
Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about