Former first lady of Yugoslavia dies
Belgrade: Hospital officials say Jovanka Broz, the widow of former Yugoslav dictator Josip Broz Tito, has died. She was 89.
Broz, who was married to Tito for nearly 30 years, died in a hospital today of heart failure, said Zlatibor Loncar, head of Belgrade`s emergency hospital.
Broz had been hospitalised since late August.
Tito, whose Partisan guerrilla fighters fought against German Nazi occupiers during World War II, took power in Yugoslavia after the war ended.
He ruled the multiethnic federation with a heavy hand until his death in 1980.
Tito`s successors later stripped Broz of her rights, placing her in virtual house arrest.
Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed