Former first lady of Yugoslavia dies
Belgrade: Hospital officials say Jovanka Broz, the widow of former Yugoslav dictator Josip Broz Tito, has died. She was 89.
Broz, who was married to Tito for nearly 30 years, died in a hospital today of heart failure, said Zlatibor Loncar, head of Belgrade`s emergency hospital.
Broz had been hospitalised since late August.
Tito, whose Partisan guerrilla fighters fought against German Nazi occupiers during World War II, took power in Yugoslavia after the war ended.
He ruled the multiethnic federation with a heavy hand until his death in 1980.
Tito`s successors later stripped Broz of her rights, placing her in virtual house arrest.
Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round