Former first lady of Yugoslavia dies
Belgrade: Hospital officials say Jovanka Broz, the widow of former Yugoslav dictator Josip Broz Tito, has died. She was 89.
Broz, who was married to Tito for nearly 30 years, died in a hospital today of heart failure, said Zlatibor Loncar, head of Belgrade`s emergency hospital.
Broz had been hospitalised since late August.
Tito, whose Partisan guerrilla fighters fought against German Nazi occupiers during World War II, took power in Yugoslavia after the war ended.
He ruled the multiethnic federation with a heavy hand until his death in 1980.
Tito`s successors later stripped Broz of her rights, placing her in virtual house arrest.
Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city