Former first lady of Yugoslavia dies
Belgrade: Hospital officials say Jovanka Broz, the widow of former Yugoslav dictator Josip Broz Tito, has died. She was 89.
Broz, who was married to Tito for nearly 30 years, died in a hospital today of heart failure, said Zlatibor Loncar, head of Belgrade`s emergency hospital.
Broz had been hospitalised since late August.
Tito, whose Partisan guerrilla fighters fought against German Nazi occupiers during World War II, took power in Yugoslavia after the war ended.
He ruled the multiethnic federation with a heavy hand until his death in 1980.
Tito`s successors later stripped Broz of her rights, placing her in virtual house arrest.
Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men