Former Gitmo detainee calls 9/11 `disgusting`
Canberra: The first Guantanamo Bay detainee to plead guilty to a terrorism offense said in a television interview broadcast Tuesday that the Sept 11 terrorist attacks in the United States were a "disgusting act."
David Hicks, an ex-kangaroo skinner and Outback cowboy, was jailed in the US prison camp in Cuba for more than five years before a plea deal in 2007 allowed him to return home to Australia to serve a nine-month prison sentence for providing material support to al Qaeda.
The Muslim convert received military training in Afghanistan at camps often visited by al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in the months before the terror network attacked New York and Washington with hijacked airliners on Sept. 11, 2001.
Hicks, 35, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. he was across the Pakistan border in Quetta when he saw the news on TV.
"I think it was a disgusting act," Hicks said in a rare interview.
"So many people lost their life on that day ... it was horrible," he added.
Hicks returned to Afghanistan where he was captured by the US-backed Northern Alliance.
He denies supporting al Qaeda and says he was feeling suicidal when he agreed to plead guilty to get out of Guantanamo Bay.
Hicks told ABC that he wanted the Australian government to recognize that the US military commissions were illegal and that his conviction was void. A government official was not immediately available for comment Tuesday.
An Australian judge this month froze proceeds from Hicks` memoir as the government fights to seize profits from the book.
The government has launched court action against Hicks, arguing that he should not be allowed to profit from his autobiography, "Guantanamo: My Journey," because he is a convicted criminal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah