Former Gitmo detainee calls 9/11 `disgusting`
Canberra: The first Guantanamo Bay detainee to plead guilty to a terrorism offense said in a television interview broadcast Tuesday that the Sept 11 terrorist attacks in the United States were a "disgusting act."
David Hicks, an ex-kangaroo skinner and Outback cowboy, was jailed in the US prison camp in Cuba for more than five years before a plea deal in 2007 allowed him to return home to Australia to serve a nine-month prison sentence for providing material support to al Qaeda.
The Muslim convert received military training in Afghanistan at camps often visited by al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in the months before the terror network attacked New York and Washington with hijacked airliners on Sept. 11, 2001.
Hicks, 35, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. he was across the Pakistan border in Quetta when he saw the news on TV.
"I think it was a disgusting act," Hicks said in a rare interview.
"So many people lost their life on that day ... it was horrible," he added.
Hicks returned to Afghanistan where he was captured by the US-backed Northern Alliance.
He denies supporting al Qaeda and says he was feeling suicidal when he agreed to plead guilty to get out of Guantanamo Bay.
Hicks told ABC that he wanted the Australian government to recognize that the US military commissions were illegal and that his conviction was void. A government official was not immediately available for comment Tuesday.
An Australian judge this month froze proceeds from Hicks` memoir as the government fights to seize profits from the book.
The government has launched court action against Hicks, arguing that he should not be allowed to profit from his autobiography, "Guantanamo: My Journey," because he is a convicted criminal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM