Former Israeli president may kill himself: Report
Jerusalem: A lawyer for a former Israeli president convicted of rape fears his client may commit suicide if he is forced to serve his seven-year sentence.
Attorney Zion Amir says he has a "real fear" Moshe Katsav could kill himself before his imprisonment, which is to begin in May. The Maariv daily carried Amir`s remarks on Thursday.
Katsav`s defence team plans to appeal the sentence, which was handed down on Tuesday.
Amir says it`s difficult to imagine Katsav stepping inside a jail cell and "having a heavy steel door slam behind him”.
Katsav was convicted of raping a former employee and sexually harassing two others. He was also convicted of indecent acts and obstruction of justice.
The 65-year-old Katsav broke down in tears at his sentencing and screamed at the judges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi