Former Israeli president may kill himself: Report
Jerusalem: A lawyer for a former Israeli president convicted of rape fears his client may commit suicide if he is forced to serve his seven-year sentence.
Attorney Zion Amir says he has a "real fear" Moshe Katsav could kill himself before his imprisonment, which is to begin in May. The Maariv daily carried Amir`s remarks on Thursday.
Katsav`s defence team plans to appeal the sentence, which was handed down on Tuesday.
Amir says it`s difficult to imagine Katsav stepping inside a jail cell and "having a heavy steel door slam behind him”.
Katsav was convicted of raping a former employee and sexually harassing two others. He was also convicted of indecent acts and obstruction of justice.
The 65-year-old Katsav broke down in tears at his sentencing and screamed at the judges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!