Former Israeli president may kill himself: Report
Jerusalem: A lawyer for a former Israeli president convicted of rape fears his client may commit suicide if he is forced to serve his seven-year sentence.
Attorney Zion Amir says he has a "real fear" Moshe Katsav could kill himself before his imprisonment, which is to begin in May. The Maariv daily carried Amir`s remarks on Thursday.
Katsav`s defence team plans to appeal the sentence, which was handed down on Tuesday.
Amir says it`s difficult to imagine Katsav stepping inside a jail cell and "having a heavy steel door slam behind him”.
Katsav was convicted of raping a former employee and sexually harassing two others. He was also convicted of indecent acts and obstruction of justice.
The 65-year-old Katsav broke down in tears at his sentencing and screamed at the judges.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India