Former Rio de Janeiro archbishop dies at age 91
Rio de Janeiro: Rio de Janeiro`s former archbishop who provided shelter to thousands of people opposed to the military regimes that once ruled Brazil, Argentina and Chile has died at age 91.
The Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday said on its website that Eugenio de Araujo Sales died of a heart attack in his sleep late Monday.
Sales was ordained as a priest in 1943 in the northeastern city of Natal. In 1971 he became archbishop of Rio de Janeiro, a position he held until 2001 when he retired.
One year earlier, he told the O Globo newspaper that from 1976-1982 he provided shelter to close to 5,000 Brazilian opponents of Brazil`s 1964-1985 military regime and political refugees fleeing the dictatorships of Argentina and Chile.
He said at the time that those he helped were either put up in 80 apartments rented by the archdiocese or received help to travel to other counties, mostly in Europe.
"He was present in all of Brazil`s most important events, especially those involving refugees and the defence of the persecuted," Rio de Janeiro Archbishop Orani Joao Tempesta said in a statement.
Rio de Janeiro state Governor Sergio Cabral decreed three days of mourning.
President Dilma Rousseff said Sales will be remembered for "his concern with social issues which was always closely linked to his ecclesiastical work”.
Sales` body will lie in state at Rio de Janeiro`s cathedral, where he will be entombed in a crypt on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch