Former Russian killer colonel shot dead
Moscow: Former Russian Army colonel Yuri
Budanov, who was released on parole in 2009 after serving most
of his 10-year sentence for war crimes in Chechnya was shot
dead on Friday.
Budanov who symbolised Army abuses in the federal troops
during the Chechnya campaign was sentenced to 10 years in
prison in 2003 for the kidnapping and murder of 18-year-old
Chechen girl Elsa Kungayeva.
After several appeals he was released on parole in
January 2009 after serving eight years and six months in the
According to ITAR-TASS, Budanov was shot dead near a
public notary office at Komsomolsky Prospekt in a posh
locality in central Moscow.
The police are looking for a Mitsubishi Lancer vehicle on
which the alleged killer escaped.
The case of Colonel Budanov at its time had split the
Russian society as many viewed him a victim of wrong policies
of the Kremlin, which had unleashed the Chechnya campaign in
1993 and 1999 to restore Moscow`s rule in the virtual
breakaway Caucasian region.
The Russian nationalists had declared Budanov as their
hero, while human rights activists viewed him as a war
Incidentally, many prominent warlords and militants in
Chechnya were pardoned for their crimes under amnesty, which
did not cover Budanov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read