Former Russian killer colonel shot dead
Moscow: Former Russian Army colonel Yuri
Budanov, who was released on parole in 2009 after serving most
of his 10-year sentence for war crimes in Chechnya was shot
dead on Friday.
Budanov who symbolised Army abuses in the federal troops
during the Chechnya campaign was sentenced to 10 years in
prison in 2003 for the kidnapping and murder of 18-year-old
Chechen girl Elsa Kungayeva.
After several appeals he was released on parole in
January 2009 after serving eight years and six months in the
According to ITAR-TASS, Budanov was shot dead near a
public notary office at Komsomolsky Prospekt in a posh
locality in central Moscow.
The police are looking for a Mitsubishi Lancer vehicle on
which the alleged killer escaped.
The case of Colonel Budanov at its time had split the
Russian society as many viewed him a victim of wrong policies
of the Kremlin, which had unleashed the Chechnya campaign in
1993 and 1999 to restore Moscow`s rule in the virtual
breakaway Caucasian region.
The Russian nationalists had declared Budanov as their
hero, while human rights activists viewed him as a war
Incidentally, many prominent warlords and militants in
Chechnya were pardoned for their crimes under amnesty, which
did not cover Budanov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Two more arrested over links with Nice attacker
- Rajinikanth thanks fans for 'Kabali' success with THIS sweetest gesture! - Details inside
- Delhi court bails out Kejriwal ex-aide Rajendra Kumar
- ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe gets new Snapdragon 821 processor
- China to chart Communist Party future amid crackdowns