‘Former Russian spies wanted kids to become same’
Moscow: A ring of Russian sleeper spies -- which included glamorous redhead Anna Chapman -- that was broken up in the US in 2010 intended to turn their children into intelligence agents, the Wall Street Journal reported.
However, according to RIA Novosti, Russian security analysts have said the spies may have simply wanted to ensure that Moscow continued to finance their children`s education.
At least one of the children agreed to join the spy operation, the American newspaper reported.
The FBI swooped down on the ring, after investigators became concerned it had infiltrated a well-connected consulting firm operating in New York and Washington.
The Wall Street Journal said Tim Foley, the son of spies who went by the names Donald Heathfield and Tracey Foley, was one of the children most extensively groomed for a future intelligence career.
Foley, who was 20 when his parents were arrested, had just finished his sophomore year at George Washington University in Washington DC.
Mobilising kids to do Russia`s bidding was a clever strategy since people raised in America would likely raise fewer suspicions and would more easily pass security checks when they began operating as spies as adults, analysts said.
Heathfield and Foley had lived with their son in the US for more than a decade. The boy ultimately agreed to his parents` request to join the family business, and to travel to Russia for espionage training, sources told the Wall Street Journal.
A lawyer who defended Donald Heathfield against espionage charges dismissed the recruitment claims as "crap".
But Russian security analysts said the reports were credible, although the goals may be misrepresented.
"I don`t think they wanted their children in the family business per se," said Andrei Soldatov, editor-in-chief and analyst at security think tank Agentura.ru.
"What they wanted is to make use of state resources to further the careers of their children in the US or elsewhere," he said.
Soldatov said it is a time-honoured practice for well-connected Russians to enlist with the intelligence services to give their children access to free English language studies abroad.
"Call it perpetuating corruption if you like, but it has nothing to do with spying," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh