Former Sun journalist charged with hacking in UK
London: A former Sun newspaper reporter has become the first person to be charged under Operation Tuleta, Scotland Yard’s investigation into alleged computer hacking and other privacy breaches.
Ben Ashford, 34, has been charged with possessing criminal property and unauthorised access to computer material. He will appear before Westminster Magistrates` Court on October 15.
Asford is currently working as a freelance journalist, operating from his home in London. He was a staff reporter with the Sun until 2010, and friends said he was "baffled" by the decision and would fight the charges.
It is understood that Ashford was handed a phone by a woman in Manchester in 2009 after she phoned the Sun newsroom in London, claiming to have found the phone and that it contained some interesting text messages.
The phone belonged to a local woman named Emma Murray and sources said Ashford handed in to police and the matter was thought to be closed.
Operation Tuleta began in the wake of the phone hacking scandal and is being run by the Metropolitan Police alongside Operation Elveden, an investigation into inappropriate payments to public officials, and Operation Weeting, the phone hacking inquiry.
So far, 21 people have been arrested as part of Tuleta. Two have been told that no further action will be taken against them.
The offences allegedly committed by Ashford are said to have taken place between October 11 and 16, 2009. They relate to the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and Computer Misuse Act 1990.
Allegations associated with computer hacking came in for intense scrutiny earlier this year after it emerged that over 100 companies and individuals had hired private detectives who were suspected of using illegal methods to access information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you