Former Thai PM charged with murder
Bangkok: Former Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was on Thursday charged with murder over the death of a civilian during a crackdown on anti-government rallies two years ago.
Abhisit and his then-deputy Suthep Thaugsuban were formally charged at Bangkok`s Department of Special Investigation (DSI).
Both men denied the murder charges against them, Opposition Democrat Party deputy leader Thavorn Senneam said.
Thavorn, a member of the Party`s legal team, said the plea was entered after the former prime minister and former deputy prime minister were notified of the charges of murder relating to the death of a taxi driver shot dead during the 2010 riots.
He said the two accused denied the charges, because they were not true and added that under the country`s Criminal Code, Abhisit and Suthep were not at fault as they were the state authority performing their duty to stop the illegal violence occuring in the country.
Under the Criminal Code, DSI chief Tarit Pengdit, as chief investigator in the case, was at fault for bringing false charges against the two and could be liable to life imprisonment, the Democrat lawyer said.
Ninety people died and thousands were hurt in street clashes between "Red Shirt" demonstrators and security forces, which culminated in an army operation in May 2010 to break up the protest.
The charge against Abhisit, who was prime minister at the time, relates to the fatal shooting of taxi driver Phan Kamkong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what