Former top Russian spy Tretyakov dies: US report
Washington: A radio station is reporting a
former top Russian spy who defected to the United States in
2000 has died.
Washington`s WTOP-FM Radio reported today that Sergei
Tretyakov died in June. His widow, Helen Tretyakov, tells WTOP
he died of natural causes.
Pete Earley, who wrote a book about Tretyakov, also
announced the death on his blog. He says Tretyakov`s widow
asked friends not to reveal his death until an autopsy was
completed. The widow could not be reached immediately.
A death record at the Social Security Administration, a
federal agency that provides pensions to the elderly, showed a
Sergei Tretyakov died June 13 at age 53. The record did not
provide a location.
Tretyakov was Russia`s deputy head of intelligence at the
United Nations in New York from 1995 to 2000, when he defected
to the United States with his wife and daughter.
News of the death comes after an unusual spy swap in
Vienna, Austria between Russia and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown