Former top Russian spy Tretyakov dies: US report
Washington: A radio station is reporting a
former top Russian spy who defected to the United States in
2000 has died.
Washington`s WTOP-FM Radio reported today that Sergei
Tretyakov died in June. His widow, Helen Tretyakov, tells WTOP
he died of natural causes.
Pete Earley, who wrote a book about Tretyakov, also
announced the death on his blog. He says Tretyakov`s widow
asked friends not to reveal his death until an autopsy was
completed. The widow could not be reached immediately.
A death record at the Social Security Administration, a
federal agency that provides pensions to the elderly, showed a
Sergei Tretyakov died June 13 at age 53. The record did not
provide a location.
Tretyakov was Russia`s deputy head of intelligence at the
United Nations in New York from 1995 to 2000, when he defected
to the United States with his wife and daughter.
News of the death comes after an unusual spy swap in
Vienna, Austria between Russia and the United States.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!